The Scripps mission is to inform, engage and empower our communities through our investigations and storytelling as well as customized sales initiatives to help local businesses grow. The commitment in each market goes deeper than that. Scripps employees invest their energy and heart into supporting worthwhile causes in their own neighborhoods.
Here are some examples of our efforts:
- KMGH in Denver worked with Goodwill Industries to sponsor a book drive. The total number of books collected, 40,000, far outweighed the initial goal of 14,000.
- WMAR has an annual effort in Baltimore to collect thousands of toys for children during the holidays.
- WRTV in Indianapolis raised $10,000 during its second Hope-a-Thon to benefit the local food bank.
- KJRH packs a bus full of donations to support military families in Oklahoma.
- KGTV in San Diego partners with Feeding America to collect donations for a Month of a Million Meals.
- KNXV in Phoenix holds an all-day telethon to raise $457,000 for Phoenix Children's Hospital.
- WFTS continues its award-winning program, “Taking Action Against Domestic Violence." The ongoing effort was the first of its kind partnership between a media organization and a state domestic violence coalition.
The Scripps Howard Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the company, supports the benevolent actions of Scripps employees by granting financial support through Volunteer Grants and Matching Grants.